Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Faded to Fresh



I picked-up this little metal and glass lantern at an estate sale the other day for a quarter.
The glass is all in tact and the metal looks good, except for the color, of course, but no rust.
Originally it looks to have been a tangerine or orange sherbert color...maybe.
Now it's just a faded, dirty peach color...yuck!

My hubby said, "Throw that piece of junk away".
My reply, "I don't think so".

I think there could be a few more outdoor gatherings in the future
of this seemingly used-up little lantern.... 
 
I thought it would be a bit tricky to get the glass pieces out. Not only were they held in with metal tabs, but also double-sided sticky foam. I just sat it out in the Oklahoma sun for a couple of hours and the once hard, foam tape was soft and pliable and easily detached from the metal frame.


The next step was a good cleaning in preparation for a fresh coat of paint (or two). I just filled the kitchen sink with warm soapy water and went to work with my "project" toothbrush (great size for getting into little nooks and crannies). The little lantern then went back into the sun for a couple hours of drying time and was soon ready for this lovely "Blue Ocean Breeze" color.

I was very pleased with how the little lantern turned out...
I think it's good for another season or two.



I take all my plastic, paper, cans, glass and cardboard, etc.. to the recycle center.
However, this is my favorite kind of recycling!
What do you think?

 

2 comments:

  1. Love the color! You seen to find the most interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mom! Love this color too! Kind of a spring color - but it's what I had on hand.

    ReplyDelete