Friday, September 28, 2012

Eyelet flowers


I had some eyelet trim (about 40") that had been salvaged from a previous up-cycle project. It was in good shape and cute as can be with the bows and scalloped edges.
It really needed to be used for something.


Took it to the serger for a nice clean edge.

Love my serger - really makes for a professional and durable finish.



Used my ruffling attachment.


Set for maximum ruffle.


What a contraption!
Pretty neat with 4 different adjustments in the amount of ruffle you can achieve.
I found several online for less than $20.
If you like projects with ruffles, it's worth the investment.
Of course the old standard method of pulling the bobbin thread works also.
Especially for small projects like these eyelet flowers.
 That's the way I learned to do it, and the method I utilized for years
(until Mom brought me the ruffling attachment ). Thanks Mom!


That 40" piece ended up 12" long in less than a minute.
I cut it in quarters so I had 4 - 3" pieces of eyelet.


Sewed up the edges where I cut it apart.


Ran that seam thru the serger so they won't ravel.


Very easy and so cute. Just an embellishment for the center and...


...ready for a tote bag or some other fun project.


The white is pretty, but a bit springy, for this time of year.
Maybe I'll try some tea dye for a more natural fall look.







4 comments:

  1. These are sooooooo cute! Tea dying...good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. These little flowers took the tea dye very well. Will post photos of a fall project I am using them on, soon.

      Delete
  2. These are gorgeous and I also had a thought. If you didn't open these up, they almost look like you could create white butterflies if you added some detail to them for a little girls wall decor. = )

    Irish
    Dedicated2life.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irish. Appreciate the positive feedback. Butterflys...what a great idea!

      Delete